November 21, 2007

Mommy Musings on Poop

I wasn't sure about writing about this, but then I remembered that I have no readers, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to offend myself, so why not? On the off-chance that someone other than me ever comes across this, I apologize in advance...especially if you have delicate sensibilities.

Poop. OMG, how much of it can a little boy make? I'm not talking about Dylan...he graduated to "Man Poops" a long time ago. They're big and disgusting, and the fact that he refuses to go on the toilet makes them a huge mess to clean up...that, I'm sure, will be another post on another day. Right now I'm talking about my sweet, sweet little baby. He's a wee three months old and is full of adorable smiles, baby fat rolls and the most gorgeous blue eyes (just like his cousin!). There's nothing foul about him...except his poop, or SHPOOP, as it should be known (use your imaginations). It's still "newborn" poop. Yellow, kinda grainy and mostly liquidy. It doesn't smell really nasty, although there is a definite odor to let us know it's there, just in case the straining and grunting didn't alert us to that fact earlier. My problem is this...it comes out his diaper--EVERY DAY. Sometimes more than once. And not just a little bit. Gobs and gobs of it shoot up his back, out the sides (just ask my Mother-in-Law and her kitchen floor) and, on more than one occassion, don't ask me how it happened, but out the front of his diaper.

You're probably thinking I'm a lazy mom and don't change his diaper as often as I should. I'm sure at times that's the case. But most of the time, it's a fresh, barely soiled, quality, brand name diaper. I've tried bigger sizes, smaller sizes, different brands...everything I can think of. I've resorted to leaving him in his pajamas for most of the day, because I know at some point, it's going to happen and I'd rather it happen in his PJ's than in his adorable little baby outfit. More often than not, I finally get him out of his jammies, into some outfit I spent hours (okay, minutes) picking out, and then- BLAM- SHPOOP is suddenly everywhere! SO, it's back to the drawing board on the outfit, and yet another tummy time change, which, btw, I've mastered. Just ask me how it's done...I'm happy to share my patented techniques.
Then there's the time spent scrubbing the stuff out of his clothes. You'd think it would be easy to remove...it's just baby poop. Think again...it turns into a tacky, glue-like substance as soon as it hits the fabric. The bright yellow color adheres to the fibers and the little grainy chunks (I apologized earlier) just stick in place. Most of the time it comes out eventually, which is a miracle in and of itself since we don't have hot water to our washer right now (or for the last almost 2 years, which, again, I'm sure will be another post on another day, something like: "How Long Does it Take for a Husband to Run Hot Water to the Washer and Kids Bathroom?").

I've come to the realization that there's nothing I can do about the exploding Shpoop, so I'm just going to have to live with it. And enjoy it while it lasts, because, before too long, he's going to go from this:


Zach




To this:



Dylan

Time flies, especially when there are two of them. I'll take all the Shpoop in the world, because he's not going to be little for long. And then it will be time for tee-ball, bike (trike) riding, temper tantrums, and "I wuv you, Mommy" 's, which is just another awesome stage in the world of being A Mom Two Boys. Awww....

P.S. Another Recall the tell you about...not a toy this time, but something designed to keep our children SAFE...

No comments: