April 29, 2008

I Hate People Who Breathe...

On me. It's my second biggest Pet Peeve. I CAN NOT STAND to feel someone's breathe blowing across me. It literally gives me the heebie jeebies and distracts me from whatever it is that I'm doing. **Cough**Ahem**

When I was pregnant with Dylan it came up in a conversation with one of my Doctors. I told her I was worried about being annoyed every time the baby breathed on me while I was holding him. She told me that because it was my child that I wouldn't mind it. She was WRONG.

I didn't mind it so much when he was a baby. He was little and his breathing was little, so I didn't feel it. Now, though? Now that he's a 3 year old? Now that he comes and climbs into bed and nestles in to me AS CLOSE as he can possibly get? Now I have to turn my face in another direction. Or put a pillow in between us. Or shove him over to his father's side.

It drives DJ crazy. He takes it personally. I can't for the life of me figure out how to explain it to him. How to explain that the feeling of it, for some inexplicable reason, completely and totally CREEPS ME THE FUCK OUT. It makes no sense. It's crazy. I know that, which makes it THAT much harder to explain and defend.

It's not about bad breath, although that certainly makes matters worse. It's not about personal space. Someone can be standing a few feet away from me and if I can feel their breath, I have to adjust my position to get out of the line of fire. Serioulsy. I know. It's insane. It's weird. It's worse than having to hear people chew bagels (ewww) or listening to people slurp their soup (gah) or when people put their toilet paper on the holder the wrong way (OUT, people. It should always hang OUT from the wall. Not against the wall).

It's annoying. But it doesn't make my skin crawl, my cheeks burn red and my stomach bunch up in knots. That, my friends, is how I feel everytime I see someone commit the sin of all sins. The cardinal fuck up in the World of Meghan. That, though, is for another post another time.

Now that I told you one of mine, what's one of your pet peeves?

16 comments:

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I can't stand to have my face touched. By ANYONE. I will recoil which tends to hurt people's feelings. I can't help it.

Anonymous said...

I can't stand it when my husband mumbles under his breath and then won't tell me what he said. DRIVES ME EFFING CRAZY!!!

Elizabeth said...

I had a cat who used to unroll EVERY. Last. Piece. of toilet paper...UNLESS I put it on facing the wall. Then, she never touched it. My husband's aunt ALWAYS "fixes it" when she comes to my house...THAT drives me crazy.
That cat also loved to flush the toilet to watch the water go down.
The lid always needed to be closed.

I do know what you mean about when the climb into bed and lie right on your pillow in you face. UGH.
God Bless, EJT

Anonymous said...

Being behind idiots who get onto the expressway going under the speed limit. My brain tries to climb out of my skull. That is how accidents happen, dingbat! Get on going AT LEAST the speed limit, preferably faster. Gah.

Texasholly said...

You have serious sensation problems girl. Hey, my husband mumbles too...weird. Anyway, the whole thing is strange. I am going over to tell Bossy to come read this one too.

EatPlayLove said...

We have a night light we leave on in our bathroom with a pocket door to our bedroom, for some reason the damn thing feels like a SPOT LIGHT in the middle of the night, if the pocket door is not shut enough.

Drives me bonkers. Sometimes I just can't bring myself to go close the door at 3:27 am. Grrr.

Kesler Crew said...

I can't stand for people to touch my hair and I can't stand for my hair to touch my face. I've always been that way. Even when I go get my hair cut, I won't let them actually fix my hair. Kind of weird, but I just think it's because I know I'm the only one who really knows how to fix my hair. I am the only person who deal with it on a daily basis! :)

Madge said...

actually the thought of people breathing on me creeps me out too. and i don't like air conditioning blowing on me in the car. it drives me crazy.

Amanda said...

I hate hate hate it when people use the stall next to me in the bathroom if the others are empty, leave me some room people. And also when people get on the elevator and don't face toward the door but instead face you. Why would someone do that? And lastly I can't wear tight necklaces because I swear I can feel my pulse in my neck if I do. I have some issues.

justme said...

sooooo MANY

people who leave water all over the sink area.....argghhhh

Quart said...

I wish I'd known about this when we were little. I would have breathed on you all the time.

I've always hated it when people on the phone say "I should let you go." Just tell me YOU need to go. I'm OK with that. Really.

I also hate it when I leave you messages on my way home from work and you don't call me back. Where are you???

I also really hate it when I start to think that maybe my telephone habits are driving people away . . . hmmmmm . . .

Z said...

The breath thing gets to me, too, though not nearly as much as you...

Pet peeves? Hm. Strangers (or acquaintances, anyone who is not family or CLOSE friend) touching me. Hearing someone breathe. Not being able to hear something clearly, but hearing it well enough that you know it is there...

Christy said...

I had to think really hard about this one. Not many things bother me. BUT, I do hate little noises - things rattling in the glove box, a ticking clock, a dripping faucet, etc. My husband loves to make drumming noises on the coffee table. GRRRR. When I was teaching, kids would lose their recess for drumming on their desks. It drives me batty.

BabyonBored said...

Oh I have some of these weird ones too! My husband makes this tiny little click sound on his teeth with his tongue and I swear I could hear it from the next room I'm that sensitive to it. It makes my skin crawl too. And I can't stand any repetitive noise like the beep on my cell phone if I have a message etc. I also have a bashful bladder and can't pee if I'm in a public restroom and there's one other person in there and it's completely quiet. TMI?

Jennifer S said...

The breath thing bothers me too, though probably not as much as it does you. I have to cover up my back and neck in bed, so that I can't feel my husband's breath on it. Fortunately, he understands.

My list of pet peeves is considerable, but includes: the sound of chewing, people blowing their noses at the table, and watching someone walk out of the bathroom without washing her hands (compounded if it's a HANDS-FREE faucet and paper towel dispenser. What's so hard about that??). There are more, but I'll stop.

Kiki said...

Women (or men I suppose...I'm not in a position to hear them do it) who talk on their cell phones while in the bathroom stall. Lady, is it really THAT important that you can't hang up for 5 minutes? I'd imagine the person on the other end of the phone would understand ;)

Greta

http://twitter.com/fatgreta