December 15, 2007

Due to Popular Demand...

Okay, so really just my sister. But, this IS a really good, easy recipe, so I thought I would bestow it upon you before Friday's Recipe. Once again, lucky you.

These are the cookies that one of my MOMs friends made that I mentioned in this post. They've won over DJ big time and everyone who ate them at my in-laws yesterday liked them as well. My sis made them today, and as she shared in one of her comments, she has some tips for you. Her 2 year old asked for seconds, so that has to count for something as well!

Missouri Cookies:

2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Milk
4 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
1 Stick Unsalted Butter
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (Chunky or Smooth)
3 Cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal

Combine sugar, milk, cocoa & butter in a large pot & bring to a rolling boil. Allow to boil for 1 minute then turn heat to low. Add vanilla & peanut butter and stir until melted. Add oatmeal and mix well. Drop on wax paper using 1 oz. scoop (I used a Tablespoon). Yields 4 Dozen cookies.

**Tips: Allow to cool completely before you dig into them. The texture is weird before the Oats cook completely.
As my sister mentioned: "I used my connections to get next Friday's cookie recipe and I have some advice you'll want ahead of time: 1) 3T of cocoa can be substituted using a 1 oz. square of baking chocolate. 2) You'll want to check that you actually HAVE 3 cups of oatmeal before starting. Having two and removing 1/3 of your "batter" sucks. 3) After all this, you'll have to refrigerate the cookies because they'll be really soft. Don't get caught in the same quaqmire. Buy cocoa and quick oats ahead of time!"
Now, you don't need too refrigerate the cookies if you make the cookies according to the directions above. She had to because she didn't remove enough batter for her reduced amount of Oats. Got it? Good.

Now, get to cooking, & Enjoy!

1 comment:

Texasholly said...

I appreciate the "extra" tips because those are the things I need to know...of course, removing 1/3 of the batter would have never occurred to me so even that was a helpful tip! You are quickly becoming my Martha resource (without the record, you don't have one do you?)...