December 7, 2007

Friday Recipe -12/7/07

This is, quite possibly, my FAVORITE thing to eat. EVER. I limit myself to eating it once a year (I don't want to know how much fat or how many calories a serving contains), so it's kind of taken on this rock star status for me. I. LOVE. IT. It's the ultimate comfort food for me. It is our traditional Christmas morning brunch item, which I'm sure, is why it's such a big deal to me. So long as I live, I will have Sausage Strata EVERY Christmas morning. And this version of it, too. There will be no messing with the recipe. Feel free to experiment on your own time, but don't mess with MY Strata. It could get ugly, Christmas or not.



Sausage Strata



The Night Before:



8 Slices of White Bread

2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese

1 1/2 lbs. Browned Breakfast Sausage (not Maple Syrup flavored), cut up

4 eggs

2 1/2 Cups Milk

3/4 tsp. dry Mustard



Cut the bread into cubes and place it at the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Top with cheese and then sausage.

Mix milk , eggs & mustard. Pour evenly over bread, cheese & sausage. Cover & refrigerate overnight.



In The Morning:



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.



Mix 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup & 1/2 Cup of Milk. Pour over casserole & bake for 1 1/2 hours or until hot & bubbly.



Serve with Mimosas & enjoy!



**I'm sure if you wanted to use low fat cheese & reduced fat cream of mushroom soup you could. It would certainly not be as good (in my opinion). The only concession I've ever made is to use turkey sausage instead of pork sausage. That's Yummy. MMMMMM....I CAN'T WAIT! Only 17 days to go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually browned the sausage, cut it up and stashed it in the freezer this morning - to eliminate
that step on Christams eve. In fact, now that you know - you can help me remember that I did it!